Saturday, March 20, 2010

Springtime In the City



Welcome, Spring! I have officially finished my Kosair's Children Hospital (KCH) orientation! Yesterday I decided, "Why not get a flu shot?" [Just to be "safe" right?] The nurse warned me, because I've NEVER had one in my entire life, I may get a little sick and have some flu symptoms, but usually just a low-grade fever and some chills. By 9pm I was complaining that I felt awful. My neck was throbbing and my lower back was aching. I decided to lay down at 10pm and call my mom because I miss her and by 10:30 I couldn't even talk. I pleaded with Asa to go get a theromemeter because Elsa had destroyed ours [not a mercury filled glass one, people!] and when he came and felt my skin, which was on FIRE, he ran out to get one. My temperature when he got back was 101.8 and I was just whimpering and tears were streaming out of my eyes because I was so hot and so sore. I continued to take ibuprofen and aspirin, and nothing seemed to help. By midnight, Asa came in to check on me and take my temp again, and it was 103. . . I felt like my body was literally burning itself. I took a lukewarm bath and took one more tyelnol PM and 2 regular tylenols, and around 1:30 I was able to drift into a DEEP sleep until 8 this morning when I woke for more ibuprofen, but at that time, I was fever free! 
Last night was one of the most painful, horrendous, wimpiest nights of my life. My temperature is typically around 97 degrees, I have a low regular body temp! So 101-103 was MISERABLE. The one thing it did help me see though, was that when I am working with patients come Monday, LITTLE patients, LITTLE kids and even babies, who HAVE these fevers and are so sick and actually hospitilized? I am going to be so much more empathetic. Little sweet things! 
Also, I am one of the biggest babies ever when I get sick myself....so I definitely will not think that these little kids should act brave or strong, when I most certaintly don't myself! 

Today we are going shopping for hospital shoes and BLINDS AND DRAPES for my new 3rd shift job. I start on Monday. I work Mon, Tues, and Thursday [which will be my birthday!] I am so praying for strength. School starts again on Monday and I will have six weeks left...I already don't even want to go BACK after this week of spring break! But I am almost done! I just really and sincerely pray I can do WELL in A&P and finish strong with at least a B- in the class...otherwise I would have to take it ALL OVER AGAIN for nursing school at Bellarmine, if that's where God leads me! Ouch that would stink. 

So, prayers are appreciated as I make my way back into classes and working 40 hours a week at NIGHT! :) God is SO good and beautiful and merciful and KIND. Heis above all things and He IS all things! I miss my family and my brothers, as this spring time approaches. I have so many wonderful memories playing on the trampoline w/ Seany and us creating our own games! Baseball, go-carting, sprinklers, indoor pool... It's funny how we wish our lives away when we're young! I have been trying to soak in ALL the memories as they come, here in my adult life!!! Spring time is ALWAYS my favorite!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment