Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Days Keep Flyin' By!

Last time I wrote, I was pretty overwhelmed with the fact that I had no idea what to do in life. It looks to be changing however, as I have made some steps that I think are following appropriately the will of God. A week away from life was what really helped make things clear:



 Asa and I went on a romantic vacation to St. Augustine Beach, Florida the whole second week of June--and other than him developing a weird rash/itch all over his entire back and stomach the last 3 days, it was WONDERFUL. It was peaceful, quiet, everything we needed to recharge our batteries. As soon as we stepped foot onto the white sand right after checking into our hotel, I told Asa I felt so close to God already. I am deathly afraid of things in the ocean, sharks, sting rays, crabs, killer fish, jellyfish, man-o-wars, you know, pretty much EVERYTHING... so Asa had to really coax me into the water. I did fine in California with my best friend Lisa and my little boy cousins, but that was probably because there was a MILLION people in the water, and the little boys were FEARLESS... Once in the water with Asa, he held me and swam around with me in his arms... it was the coolest thing :) I asked him to pray, because I thought that would be an amazing way to begin this trip--so he did, and while he prayed, I couldn't stop smiling. I felt such peace and contentment... something I haven't felt in quite a while!
We swam and laid out for about an hour, and then went back to our hotel room where we slept like six hours! We did a LOT of sleeping this trip, staying up late, laughing, watching TV, exploring the historic downtown, and eating good food. Towards the end of the trip I told Asa I REALLY feel like I was made to have summer's off. Seriously... I think when God created me He was thinking, "And here's some genetic makeup to make her desire summers and holidays off, to always be with her husband and family." I've always told myself while Asa has been in grad school for teaching, that "I didn't need vacations, or time off, I could just work whatever job and be happy as long as it was the right job." And I have realized after working at the hospital for four months, that I crave time off with Asa, and that while working 3 days a week in 12 hour shifts helps me get several days off in a ROW, and I DON'T work five straight days a week... it's not the life I was called to live. The more I'm at the hospital, the more I have realized I really don't truly envision myself being a nurse... I don't see myself wanting to do IV's, or shots, or give meds, or keep track of meds, or clean up poop and vomit...I love patient interaction and I love working with kids. But I have realized a very significant thing: the interaction I have with these kids is simply not ENOUGH. I walk in to take vitals and get anything they need or want, but then I move on. And the same is true with nurses--they give meds, check on their kiddos, but they don't develop a HUGE relationship with these kids (at least on my floor) because that's not their job.
Sometimes I want to just sit and talk with the teens we get, for hours! Get to know them and laugh and somehow REALLY show Jesus to them. So it's all boiled down to and all signs have pointed to:
TEACHING!!!

I had been going back and forth the past two years over something medical and teaching. Towards the end of my subbing career I realized I could happily do teaching! Then once I was away from it, and working at a veterinary clinic, I went back to nursing. Now that I am a nurse ASSISTANT, and in the hospital every single week...I think God has opened my eyes and the decision has been made.
I could be completely wrong. He could be up in Heaven saying, "No, I REALLY don't want you to teach," but He's going to have to show me THAT door closing as well :)
So for now, I've enrolled at the University of the Cumberlands, where Asa goes, and it's ALL online! How wonderful :) Never stepping into a classroom AGAIN has been my DREAM.
I will be applying to JCPS very soon, over this weekend, and be praying that I can get a special education teaching position this fall. I don't see that happening, as I JUST enrolled in a master's program...but it would be pretty amazing. Asa is probably getting an open position at Dixie Elementary, where he's been a sub for 2 years, and we are so excited. I am SO proud of him! It will be SO great for him to have a SALARY, sick days, vacation days, and all summer off PAID! What an improvement for us financially!!!

Anyway, I wanted to write this all down, as I've been keeping track of my dreams and desires this way. I am very excited to see where God continues to lead us!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see where God wants you either! I'd love summers off! Maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete